Friday, October 26, 2007

Learning Patience

I haven't posted in a few days because we are very busy learning to be patient people. Let me explain (commonly referred to as "vent"):

Unbeknownst to us, and apparently on Monday of this week, the Alabama Department of Human Resources decided that all homestudies done from October 2006 on would not be approved until the applicants had additional clearances from all states they have lived in during the last 5 years. Several things about this frustrate us:

1. This apparently includes people that are already appoved. What would happen if someone didn't check out? The state of Alabama will apparently revoke those adoptions.
2. This is retroactive until 2006, and we were just notified THIS WEEK???
3. Our social worker informed us that he only works part time and won't be able to guide us on how to accomplish this. I asked a question about one of the forms, after he forwarded a form from ONE of the THREE states we need and he suggested I call that state myself and find out. So...that is what I am trying to do. His boss is now trying to find things out for us - although we haven't heard anymore.
4. I called California and spoke to the "Social Worker of the Day" in their policies and procedures department - and they say that all they would use is the existing FBI clearance that Alabama HAS ALREADY DONE!
5. I have asked from help from our social worker, his boss, my adoption agency and the California and DC and have not really received any guidance yet - surely someone knows how to help us. Surely a state wouldn't enact a policy without the means or guidance to see it through?!
6. I am researching Alabama state code - and House Bill 602 looks promising....as does the Department of Human Resources FAQ page that shows that the State Adoption Commisioner will make exceptions for special needs adoptions - and a special needs adoption is one where a physical disability is documented. Hmmmmm....might be my next step.

Now keep in mind - this is the only thing that is keeping us from being SO CLOSE to done. This is also the ONLY thing that is keeping us from sending Ty letters and gifts from us. We cannot go any further until our home study is approved by Alabama. It has already been approved by our adoption agency.

And so - we are learning to be patient and trust that this is as it should be and according to God's will.

I would like to say that I feel better about all of this after writing this - but I don't.

I do feel better knowing all of our friends are out there reading this and praying for us and for our sweet Ty.