Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Very Big Change

Today we woke up and began to pack. Our guide Michael was getting our notary certificates ready and we were hoping to receive Ty's passport. We were told to hang in the room all morning in case he needed us. We spent the morning playing with Ty. I will miss the days at the Ramada - even though I am more than ready to move on.

I worry that Ty hasn't shown a lot of emotion about leaving Guiyang. We had asked him what his earliest memory was and he remembered breaking a mask at a friend's house and the friend's parents asking his foster parents to pay for it. We asked him what his happiest memory was and he said he remembered having some birthday cake once when he was 3 1/2. This was apparently not his birthday. He further said he didn't have many happy memories in China.

Our guide called and was bringing the notary certificates at 2:00. We were not checking out of the hotel until 4:00 (thank you Michael!) We let Ty talk and talk to Michael thinking that he wouldn't have a chance to talk so freely and be understood for quite awhile. At one point - we realized that Ty was speaking with Michael about Christianity and trying to convert him. He spent the better part of an hour on this - while he parents sat by and watched in amazement. He told Michael about the verse in the Bible that speaks about storing your treasures in heaven. He really tried to get Michael to say he believed in Jesus - and Michael was so patient and kind with him. When Michael left the room at 3:30 for us to finish packing the few things we had left- Ty was so sad that he had not succeeded. It was very touching.

We arrived at the airport with high spirits - knowing that in a few short hours I would be with my best friend Carol and meet her son Kelly! That dream was delayed - considerably. We checked-in, went through security and to the gate and waited. Finally it was boarding time and Ty was so excited. When about half the plane was down the jet way, they all turned back. The plane was experiencing mechanical problems. This was around 6:00 and we had been at the airport since 4:30 already. Tony and I were trying to figure out how to explain to Ty that we had to wait - when God intervened.

A guide for another family from our hotel approached us. She said that she had seen us in the hotel and had been very touched by how we were all working to communicate, etc. She offered to talk to Ty for us and we gladly accepted. She explained things to him and he understood - wasn't happy about it, but understood. He really enjoyed talking to her (her name was Stephanie) - and she helped all of us so much. She explained that we could show our board tickets and get a free meal due to the delay. This helped pass the time and then as the delay got longer and longer, we decided to teach Ty to play "War."

He won a game and then lost gracefully. I stated before that he doesn't like to lose - and we have worked to make losing just as fun as winning. I hope he will understand this someday. I think he is doing better with it though.

Stephanie's flight left at 8:30 p.m. We hated to see her go - but were thankful for the gift that her presence had been.

At 9:00 we finally began to board. Poor Ty - he appeared to get very nervous. I saw a cold sweat break out on his head. We comforted as best we could in a line of Chinese people! When we reached our seats - he didn't have a window! We had THAT seat - the one with the blank wall at the end of your row. More disappointment - but after we finally got the seat belt on him (by showing him the lighted sign) he realized he could lean forward and see outside.

Now- I am not good at handling certain bodily reactions to flying for example. And when it dawned on me that Ty was getting more and more nervous - I feared that he may not feel well and be betrayed by his tummy. At which point - my tummy got uptight. Tony and I switched places - because that doesn't phase him (yes...we are a perfect compliment!) Ty kept looking out the window and asking if we were flying yet. The Chinese family on the row next to us had two children and they waved at Ty. Tony sketched out the taxi and runway procedure for Ty and we traced the progress. At last- take off!

He did really well and didn't get sick at all. He watched everything, but was so exhausted. He kept trying to lay down on Tony's lap to sleep but just couldn't let himself do it. I know Tony and I were both sleepy. We all had something to drink and all declined the meal. After about two hours - we began to descend into the Guangzhou area. This is a town of 12 million people so it covers a lot of space and we were landing at the new airport (3 years old.)

Tony did so well when Ty began to panic because his ears hurt. He was in a lot of pain and we felt very helpless. We had talked to him (through Stephanie) about swallowing. He didn't do that - and the other children across the way had ear pain as well. I showed them how to hold their noses and blow and they did - and it helped. But Ty didn't want to try that. He can be dramatic when he is in pain...or appears to be in pain.

By the time we got to baggage claim it was midnight and Ty recovered some. You really should witness the baggage claim after an in-country Chinese flight. There are all kinds of bags taped up - like plastic shopping bags....and checked through. One can only guess what is in these...but one of them broke open and leaked ALL OVER one of our bags. It is an awful smell - remember my sensitive tummy? Well - this almost did me in.

We met our guide Connie and she explained that another CHI family was arriving late as well. We met the Collier family as they boarded our van and we headed to our hotel - quite a trip...about a half hour. Tony was in a jump seat and couldn't find a comfortable spot for his head to rest...and as he dozed some anyway, I realized that deployments have taught him to sleep anywhere, anyhow. Ty passed out across my lap.

The check-in went well and I vaguely remember Connie telling us what time to meet her in the morning - and I vaguely remember being thankful that she said she made the meeting time later for us because we were getting in so late. I was just so glad to see our room....quite a bit fancier than our Ramada. And cooler - at last - hot mommy can get some relief!

Even though it was so late (or early!)- I had to call my best friend and get a hug...We met in the hallway between our rooms and hugged with happy tears. That hug did so much for my soul. We got flashlights and showed each other our sleeping children. I wish that Ty smiled in his sleep...but she'll have to wait until tomorrow to witness this miracle. Her son Kelly is so tiny - but so adorable. I snuck in some love pats while he was sleeping because he has stranger anxiety and I didn't know when I could do that again.

I crawled into bed next to my husband (a TINY rock hard bed), happy to be next to him, knowing he was beside me for this next step in bringing home our son. We left Guizhou province without Ty's Chinese passport. It was not ready and I am nervous about this. Our guides have assured us they will get it to the hotel here in Guangzhou. I have no reason to doubt that this trip is not in the perfect hands of God - but if you could pray that Ty's passport ends up in our hands soon we would be deeply thankful.